The subscriber model seems to be in the future for users of Cyberlink products, if they want the latest updates. Only PowerDirector 365, PhotoDirector 365 and Director Suite 365 subscribers get them.
Since the introduction of its subscription models, September last year, Cyberlink has been promoting the 365 versions of its PhotoDirector and PowerDirector programs over the perpetual license model, and according to the numbers from the company, 50% of their users have moved over the subscription version. The updates just introduced will, the company hopes, convince more people to choose the subscription model.
The first features update of 2019 for CyberLink’s 365 Family of subscription products offers new creative design packs, improved functionality, and high-precision facial recognition for both creative and professional editing. This release includes new features, enhancements, more plug-ins and add-ons, and integrates CyberLink’s award-winning FaceMe AI facial recognition engine into PhotoDirector’s face tagging module. The new features and functionalities are available exclusively to PowerDirector 365, PhotoDirector 365 and Director Suite 365 subscribers, providing subscription users with the latest tools, plug-ins and capabilities for creative video production and photo editing.
Moving towards a subscription model
Users on the perpetual license of CyberLink programs will have to wait until a new version of the regular PhotoDirector/PowerDirector software is introduced to see these features, and that means they will have to update/upgrade the program. New versions for CyberLink products, when they happen, usually are introduced around August or September. If you use the programs and want the new features, you either wait to see what happens or subscribe to the 365 model. CyberLink is, no doubt, focused on moving towards a subscription based model. No one knows, yet, if the company will move towards a “subscription only” model. It should be noted, though, that minor updates to correct bugs continue to be introduced for the regular versions of the programs.
“The Spring Update for our 365 Family of subscription editing products is the continuation of our commitment to deliver the latest tools and capabilities to our subscribers,” said Dr. Jau Huang, CEO of CyberLink. “Since releasing our 365 subscription products in September 2018, we’ve delivered more than 20 unique plug-in & effect packs to subscribers. With our Spring Update, it is clear that a CyberLink subscription represents the best value-for-money for creative editing, and always ensures users have the latest features and tools to take their work even further.”
More new features planned
The recent update to PowerDirector 365, PhotoDirector 365, and Director Suite 365 is, says the company, “a milestone in CyberLink’s commitment to delivering the latest editing features and capabilities to subscriptions users. With even more features planned for 2019 and beyond, plus the monthly release of new creative plug-ins, add-ons and effect packs exclusively for subscribers, CyberLink upholds its long-term commitment to 365 subscription users.”
Featured updates for PowerDirector 365
- New dual-preview windows: Users can now preview, trim, mark scenes and add library clips directly to their timeline, for better management, previewing and rapid editing of library files within a project.
- Snap alignment: Makes positioning titles, masks and objects in video precise and easy with snap alignment along multiple axes, or in relation to other objects.
- New hotkeys: Enhanced hotkey customization for better timeline and zooming control.
- Improved multi-screen support: Dual-screen settings are now saved, so if users unplug and reconnect later, they won’t have to reconfigure everything again.
- New add-on packs: Include newly released plug-ins, audio packs, and Comic Pack for more creativity!
Featured updates for PhotoDirector 365
- AI-powered face tagging: CyberLink’s world-renowned AI facial recognition engine FaceMe® is integrated into the Face Tagging module, allowing for easy management of large photo collections, speeding up the process of finding the right shots when users need them.
- Snap alignment: Features one-click object alignment and distribution settings for layer editing. Layers can also be positioned along multiple axes.
- New creative add-ons: New Frame Packs and real-time preview for Express Layer Packs allow users to add the perfect finishing touch to any shot for quick photo composition.
PowerDirector 365, PhotoDirector 365, and Director Suite 365 are all available for purchase from CyberLink’s online store.