To introduce their presence at NAB 2023, Adobe has announced new and recent features of their video tools. Automatic Tone Mapping in Premiere Pro and ACES/OCIO color management in After Effects have been released in very recent updates. Other features, including Text-Based Editing and background auto save in Premiere Pro, and the Properties panel in After Effects, are currently in public Beta and are scheduled for a May release.
Here are the lead features for Premiere Pro:
- Text-Based Editing (in Beta but shipping in May)
- Automatic Tone Mapping and log video detection
- Better performance and stability (to stem switching [more] from Premiere)
- Collaboration improvements with background auto-save, Presence Indicators, and Sequence Locking
- Context sensitive Properties Panel offers quick access to important settings (surprise features are often added in Beta, like Media Replacement)
- Academy Color Encoding System (ACES)
- 30 is the new 20
- Performance optimizations like faster timeline layer selection and multi-frame rendering of shapes, plus new keyboard shortcuts for Selectable Track Mattes. Still in the beta program: Effect Manager and Startup and Repair in Preferences.
Here’s a brief overview from Adobe:
Adobe also has some updates for another major piece, Frame.io, the standard in cloud collaboration tools.
- Cloud Collaboration for Photography and PDF
- Camera Raw
- Security improvements including forensic watermarking
And of course at NAB there are parties, important for connections. The NAB MoGraph Meetup is back for April 18. It’s free to attend, but space is limited and you must RSVP. See the Media Motion Ball (RIP after this year) for a survival guide and other gatherings. Note that many gatherings are kept under wraps until the week of NAB, and some are invite only or have a cover fee. Keep an ear open for any inside knowledge if you’re on the NAB show floor.
Check out the latest on the NAB Show 2023 here on PVC in NAB 2023 is back as well as the PreNAB Editors Lounge by Scott Simmons and We’re Covering NAB 2023! by Kenny McMillan.