Although Apple omitted it from the WWDC keynote last week, several beta testers of iOS 13 and iPadOS have now confirmed and demonstrated that trackpad and mouse support has finally arrived to both, without need of jailbreaking. This has been something that many people (including me) have requested for a long time. They have also confirmed that it works both via USB or wireless Bluetooth, and can trigger Siri Shortcuts, which are like macros. One proved that it even works with an external monitor with the current leading pro video editing app for iOS, LumaFusion, which I have covered before. Ahead are some embedded videos and my initial comments.
Above, iDP’s Mouse support on iPadOS: This changes everything!
At about 5:20, RocYe begins to demonstrate the LumaFusion video editor.
My initial comments
As some of the creators clarify in the videos, this is still beta, and very likely to be polished by Apple before final release of the iOS 13 and iPadOS in the fall (autumn) (Northern Hemisphere of Planet Earth). The prior lack of trackpad/mouse support on iOS has been the reason why many people have rejected the possibility of using an iPad (Pro) instead of a traditional laptop, especially on a large external monitor (Chromebooks have supported this for years). Now that trackpad/mouse support and proper external hard drive support are now here in iOS and iPadOS (for beta testers) and coming soon (for the rest of us), the remaining three questions we must all ask ourselves are:
- Are your favorite apps already available for iOS/iPadOS (or is there an alternative app you’d consider)? Some may consider using LumaFusion instead of their current application on a conventional computer. Others might consider Premiere Rush. I personally would need my favorite multitrack audio app, Hindenburg Journalist (Pro), to exist for iPadOS before I’d consider it.
- Is the largest iPad Pro large enough (in screen size—The current maximum is 12.9 inches) for you to use it when you are not connected to a large monitor?
- For those of us who have traditionally preferred a pure matte display even when not connected to an external monitor, will the premium Paperlike screen protector (Amazon) be good enough?
- My articles about LumaFusion in ProVideo Coalition.
- My articles about Hindenburg Journalist (Pro) in ProVideo Coalition.
- Joseph Keller’s article How to use a mouse or trackpad with your iPhone or iPad in iMore.
(Re-)Subscribe for upcoming articles, reviews, radio shows, books and seminars/webinars
Stand by for upcoming articles, reviews, and books. Sign up to my free mailing list by clicking here. If you previously subscribed to my bulletins and no longer receive them, you must re-subscribe due to new compliance to GDPR. Most of my current books are at books.AllanTepper.com, and my personal website is AllanTepper.com. Also visit radio.AllanTepper.com.
Si deseas suscribirte (o volver a suscribirte) a mi lista en castellano, visita aquí. Si prefieres, puedes suscribirte a ambas listas (castellano e inglés).
Suscribe to his BeyondPodcasting show at BeyondPodasting.com.
Subscribe to his Tu radio global show at Turadioglobal.com.
Subscribe to his Tu salud secreta show at TuSaludSecreta.com.
Subscribe to his award-winning CapicúaFM show at CapicúaFM.com.
No manufacturer is specifically paying Allan Tépper or TecnoTur LLC to write this article or the mentioned books. Some of the other manufacturers listed above have contracted Tépper and/or TecnoTur LLC to carry out consulting and/or translations/localizations/transcreations. Many of the manufacturers listed above have sent Allan Tépper review units. So far, none of the manufacturers listed above is/are sponsors of the TecnoTur , BeyondPodcasting CapicúaFM or TuRadioGlobal programs, although they are welcome to do so, and some are, may be (or may have been) sponsors of ProVideo Coalition magazine. Some links to third parties listed in this article and/or on this web page may indirectly benefit TecnoTur LLC via affiliate programs. Allan Tépper’s opinions are his own. Allan Tépper is not liable for misuse or misunderstanding of information he shares.
Copyright and use of this article
The articles contained in the TecnoTur channel in ProVideo Coalitionmagazine are copyright Allan Tépper/TecnoTur LLC, except where otherwise attributed. Unauthorized use is prohibited without prior approval, except for short quotes which link back to this page, which are encouraged!