As one who runs a social media agency, I’m often addressing questions around the topic of social media research, monitoring, and analytics. The questions vary, but are typically consistent in nature:
- How is research valuable to social media?
- What do all these tracking tools provide to guide strategy and tactics?
- What should we really be doing with social media?
Answers to these questions may be unique to any given effort, but a common best practice for entering and maintaining a wide range of social media initiatives begins withbusiness intelligence (BI), a term first coined over 50 years ago to describe computer-based approaches for analyzing data to support decision making.
The Tools and Top 5 Measurable Attributes
Having worked with lead offerings developed by companies that include Crimson Hexagon, Buzz Metrics, Collective Intellect, Radian6, Sysomos, Filtrbox, and Umbria, here’s a quick summary of function and value:
- Volume of Conversation and Share of Voice
- Identification of Key Themes, Opinions and Trending Topics
- Sentiment Analysis
- Influencer Identification
- Social Graphing and Viral Tracking