The RØDE Reporter app for iOS is the bridge from several RØDE hardware devices to an iOS or iPadOS device for recording. These RØDE devices for the Apple Lightning connector currently include the i-XY-L stereo microphone, the i-XLR (for connecting a single XLR microphone) and the SC6-L, the ingenious yet under-praised bidirectional 2-channel interface I have covered in a few articles already. The RØDE Reporter app for iOS is very good, but I have 7 suggestions to make it a powerhouse.
Links to my articles about the related RØDE devices
Suggested software updates to the RØDE Reporter app
- Please add Mono 48 kHz/24-bit WAV to the recording options to the RØDE Reporter app for iOS to save 50% space (and 50% bandwidth and time when uploading the mono file via Internet) when using a single microphone with the i-XLR (always) or the SC6-L (sometimes). When the app is set for mono recording mode, please make the VU meter change to reflect that visually.
- If the hardware preamps built into the SC6-L offer separate gain adjustments, please give us individual access to the gain of each one independently in the RØDE Reporter app. If the hardware preamps built into the SC6-L don’t allow for that, then you can skip this suggestion.
- Please publish an ideal pixel resolution for the graphic used in the virtual mic flag function already built into the RØDE Reporter app.
- I understand that the SC6-L does not offer a low cut (high pass) filter in hardware the way the i-XLR does. Please offer a user-switchable software-based low cut (high pass) filter in the RØDE Reporter app, so we can eliminate rumble before recording.
- In the RØDE Reporter app, please offer direct export to Left Mono WAV and Right Mono WAV, for dual-track recordings made with the SC6/L, instead of (or in addition to) the fake stereo WAV file you currently offer. Auphonic’s online crossgating service only accepts separate files, not the fake stereo file. (See my 2017 article: My multitrack crossgating audio workflow to eliminate crosstalk.) This will save us a tedious step using a third-party iOS app before uploading to Auphonic.com.
- Please add a software-based noise gate for automix to the RØDE Reporter app for use with the SC6-L, with the capability of recording a post-mix mono WAV 48 kHz/24-bit file, plus an optional isolated Left/Right recording just in case. If appropriate, make this function available on those iOS devices with enough horsepower and publish the compatible iOS devices which support this feature.
- Please develop an Android cousin of the RØDE Reporter app with all of the above features too, in order to be used with the new Anker Audio USB-C to Lightning Audio Adapter (Amazon) and the SC6-L (Amazon — B&H). This recently released Anker audio adapter (pictured below with the SC6-L, review pending) just happens to be rated for 48 kHz/24-bit, so it can be used until such time as RØDE releases the SC6-USB-C to the market 🙂
(Re-)Subscribe for upcoming articles, reviews, radio shows, books and seminars/webinars
Stand by for upcoming articles, reviews, and books. Sign up to my free mailing list by clicking here. If you previously subscribed to my bulletins and no longer receive them, you must re-subscribe due to new compliance to GDPR. Most of my current books are at books.AllanTepper.com, and my personal website is AllanTepper.com. Also visit radio.AllanTepper.com.
Si deseas suscribirte (o volver a suscribirte) a mi lista en castellano, visita aquí. Si prefieres, puedes suscribirte a ambas listas (castellano e inglés).
Suscribe to his BeyondPodcasting show at BeyondPodasting.com.
Subscribe to his Tu radio global show at Turadioglobal.com.
Subscribe to his Tu salud secreta show at TuSaludSecreta.com.
Subscribe to his award-winning CapicúaFM show at CapicúaFM.com.
No manufacturer is specifically paying Allan Tépper or TecnoTur LLC to write this article or the mentioned books. Some of the other manufacturers listed above have contracted Tépper and/or TecnoTur LLC to carry out consulting and/or translations/localizations/transcreations. Many of the manufacturers listed above have sent Allan Tépper review units. So far, none of the manufacturers listed above is/are sponsors of the TecnoTur , BeyondPodcasting CapicúaFM or TuRadioGlobal programs, although they are welcome to do so, and some are, may be (or may have been) sponsors of ProVideo Coalition magazine. Some links to third parties listed in this article and/or on this web page may indirectly benefit TecnoTur LLC via affiliate programs. Allan Tépper’s opinions are his own. Allan Tépper is not liable for misuse or misunderstanding of information he shares.
Copyright and use of this article
The articles contained in the TecnoTur channel in ProVideo Coalitionmagazine are copyright Allan Tépper/TecnoTur LLC, except where otherwise attributed. Unauthorized use is prohibited without prior approval, except for short quotes which link back to this page, which are encouraged!
Filmmakers go-to destination for pre-production, production & post production equipment!