The company I work for could no longer get away with tracking the location of key files using a spreadsheet and a shared drive. I was chosen to head up the team tasked with formalizing our digital asset management strategy. Key requirements included centralized storage, controlled access and powerful search capabilities.
Digital assets are tens or even hundreds of thousands of files, typically scattered across your company’s network. This material tends to be expensive to produce or acquire, but it’s reusable; think photos, logos and corporate branding material, videos and audio clips. If your company is anything like mine was, half the files it owns aren’t even on the network. They’re sitting on some marketing guy’s laptop, flash drive, or CD’s, and if he forgets any of these in a coffee shop, guess what? Those files are gone for good. Of course, it may take months before anyone even realizes that the files are missing, and then it’s a huge rush and a big expense to replace them.
I quickly realized that there are a lot of digital asset management systems out there and each has its strengths. After a few meetings, I also realized that, while it’s probably a good idea to have the IT department involved in the process of picking a vendor (you do need their support, after all), it’s probably not the best idea to let them attempt a solution on their own. Most companies simply don’t have the expertise in-house and you want to do this right. I insisted on working with a firm specializing in implementation of these systems and I’d highly recommend going that route. DPCI is one name that comes up frequently and it’s known for experience with the bigger vendors including Open Text, North Plans, Nstein and Documentum.
User experience continues @ http://www.cakipin.web.id
Related articles by Zemanta
- It’s less and less about the repository and more about the workflow (digitalassetmanagement.org.uk)
- Digital Asset Management Reporting and Success Metrics (digitalassetmanagement.org.uk)
- Better Storage Equals Better Business (digitalassetmanagement.org.uk)
- Asset Management for Business in the Digital World (digitalassetmanagement.org.uk)
- DAM on a global scale: Duplicate or Distribute? (digitalassetmanagement.org.uk)
- Statistics that have DAM Meaning (digitalassetmanagement.org.uk)