Blackmagic announced today the immediate release of camera firmware 1.9.7 that allows in-camera formatting for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera as well as the Pocket Camera. This firmware update also includes a new dashboard view with nice big and easy to access buttons.
The new disk formatting allows camera operators to use their cameras to format their SSDs and SD cards instead of using their computers. The primary benefit, other than convenience, is the cameras can now format to optimize for high performance video use and playback. As new disks hit the market new software can be made to match enabling better performance when recording high data rate 4K raw images.
In-camera formatting will include the ExFat and HFS+ options. ExFat being compatible with both Mac and Windows machines and the best choice for customers working on both systems. The HFS+ formatting option is for those working on Mac exclusively. When working with the HFS+, which allows journaling, one can expect higher performance and error protection because that format allows journaling.
In order to add the formatting option to the menu, Blackmagic also included a new dashboard menu to firmware 1.9.7. This will allow camera settings and functions to be quickly selected. Shooters can quickly choose to format disks, enable focus peaking, and more with big easy to use buttons.
“Following on from the popular release of in camera disk formatting on the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K last month, we are very happy to now release this feature for all models of the Blackmagic Cinema Camera and Pocket Cinema Camera,,” said Grant Petty, CEO of Blackmagic Design. “Having this new formatting feature in the camera means customers get increased convenience as well as getting the most out of the SSD’s and SD cards so they can record higher data rate but extremely high quality RAW formats easier then ever before!”
Blackmagic Cinema Camera Key Features
- Large, high resolution 2.5K sized sensor with 13 stops of dynamic range
- New PL model is compatible with extremely high quality PL cinema lenses.Wide 12 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
- Compatible with extremely high quality PL,EF and MFT mount lenses.
- Built in SSD recorder allows long duration recording onto solid state disks.
- Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software, such as ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy, DNxHD and uncompressed RAW. No custom file formats.
- Features all standard connections, including jack mic/line audio in, 3G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay, headphone mini jack, Thunderbolt, LANC remote control and standard DC 12-30V power connection.
- Built in touch screen LCD for camera settings and metadata entry compatible with popular video editing software including Final Cut Pro X.
- Supports Ultra HD and 1080HD resolution capture in 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps.
- Includes UltraScope software for live scopes via the built in Thunderbolt connection.
- Includes DaVinci Resolve color grading software.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Key Features
- High resolution 1080HD Super 16mm sized sensor with superior handling of image detail.
- Super wide 13 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
- Compatible with extremely high quality Micro Four Thirds lenses. Compatible with other mounts via common third party adapters such as PL mount and Super 16 cine lenses.
- Built in SD card recorder allows long duration recording with easy to use media.
- Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software such as ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy and lossless CinemaDNG 12-bit RAW. No custom file formats.
- Standard connections including mini jack mic/line audio in, micro HDMI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay, headphone mini jack, LANC remote control and standard DC 12-30V power connection.
- Built in LCD for camera settings via easy to use menus..
- Supports 1080HD resolution capture in 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps.
- Compatible with DaVinci Resolve Lite color grading software.