MindShift Gear’s First Light backpack series addresses the most pressing needs of outdoor photographers who travel and trek, especially those who carry their 200mm to 600mm “Big Glass” lenses. These high capacity backpacks come in three sizes, 20, 30 and 40L.
Although the new backbacks may look like… backpacks, there are two major points of distinction. The first is comfort. These aren’t photography backpacks, but outdoor backpacks specifically designed for photography. They have feature contoured, adjustable torso harnesses, to fit most man and women, with 11 adjustment points for extreme comfort, whether running through an airport or traversing a mountain.
The second is security. The last thing a photographer wants to see out their airline window is their backpack filled with their most expensive and fragile gear being tossed onto a luggage cart. The FirstLights are designed to comply with airline carry on requirements. Built with ballistic nylon bottoms for durability, room for a laptop and personal gear, and in the two larger sizes, a dedicated pocket for hydration reservoirs, the First Light series was tested by MindShift co-founder and noted conservation photographer Daniel Beltrá (on the photo) under the work conditions he usually faces.
“We heard loudly and clearly from outdoor photographers that they wanted dual-purpose backpacks they could use to transport their gear safely on airlines and also for carrying their largest lenses comfortably for hours while deep into their treks,” said MindShift Gear’s CEO and lead designer Doug Murdoch. “We were able to design backpacks sized to fit three different camera gear configurations that are the best made, most durable, most comfortable, and most reasonably priced in the market.”
- Dedicated 3L hydration pocket on side (30L & 40L only)
- Tablet or laptop fits into front pocket (20L & 30L = up to 15” laptop; 40L = up to 17” laptop)
- Includes tripod/monopod mounting system on front or side
- Better weight distribution for a more comfortable load enables easier all day use on the trail
- Seamless rain cover (included) doubles as a ground cloth
- When attached, rain cover allows small to medium tripods to be carried on front or side positions
- 2 front stuff pockets for travel or trail essentials; extra layers, a light jacket, headlamp, gloves, chargers
- Adjustable high-density closed-cell foam dividers for large telephoto lenses, traditional photo gear, or personal items
- Large water bottle or accessory pocket with drains and cinch cord for security
- Top zippered pocket for quick access to essentials
- Ballistic nylon bottom panel for durability in harsh environments
- Shaped aluminum torso stay for additional support
- Grab handles on 3 sides make it easy to hoist into an overhead bin, car, or trunk (2 handles on 20L)
- Interior mesh pockets for storing filters, batteries, cables, etc.
- Side compression straps with locking SR buckles for additional lash points
- Shoulder straps and waist belt wrap to front for compact storage in overhead compartment
- Whistle integrated into sternum strap buckle
- Compatible with MindShift Tripod Suspension Kit, Lens Switch Case, and the filter cases
- FirstLight 20L: Holds 1 standard-size DSLR and 4–6 standard zoom lenses. Holds 2 large Mirrorless DSLRs and 5–7 lenses plus a flash. Maximum lens size: 200–400mm f/4 detached or 300 f/2.8 attached.
- FirstLight 30L: Holds 1 gripped DSLR and 4–6 standard zoom lenses, and 1 flash. Maximum lens size: 500mm f/4 lens detached or 400 f/2.8 attached.
- FirstLight 40L: Holds 2 gripped DSLRs with 6–8 standard zoom lenses and 1–2 flashes. Maximum lens size: 600mm f/4 lens detached or a 500mm f/4 attached.
Exterior: For superior water resistance, all exterior fabric has a durable water-repellant coating; the underside of the fabric has a polyurethane coating. It also has the highest quality abrasion-resistant YKK® RC-Fuse zippers, 420D velocity nylon, 420D high-density nylon, 1680D ballistic nylon, 210D nylon, 320G DuraStretch mesh, nylon webbing, 350G airmesh, nylon webbing, 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
Interior: 210D silver-toned nylon lining, belly-o mesh pockets, high-density closed-cell foam, PE board reinforcement, 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
The FirstLight backpacks are designed for travelling outdoor photographers. Built for extended days of travel, the pack is carry on compatible (always check with your air carrier), making it easier to get to your destination with your gear alays close by. Find more information following the link to the page of the new MindShift Gear First Light backpacks.