Canon’s latest announcement sees the Japanese giant launch a compact 4K video camera, the XC-10. Inheriting many features from the Cinema EOS range but in an incredibly small form factor it delivers 4K on the run and most importantly has the essential feature of clean HDMI, start/stop trigger and timecode over HDMI for perfect integration with the Shogun and other Atomos recorders.
“Atomos is proud to be playing a major part in the 4K revolution by enabling these amazing cameras to record to edit friendly formats.” said Jeromy Young CEO and co-founder of Atomos. “Canon today has changed the playing field again with this pocket rocket that is only unleashed by the addition of a Shogun recorder or an Atomos CFast card, we are confident Shogun will be the first accessory purchased for the XC10.”
With the Atomos Shogun, XC-10 users will gain:
- Direct to ProRes/DNxHR 4K recording (up to 2160p30) and ProRes/DNxHD recording (up to 1080p60). This means users do not have to transcode the XC-10’s internal recordings ready for editing in Apple FCPX, Adobe Premiere or Avid Media Composer.
- The 4K recording, apart from being the native codec for NLEs, is also 4:2:2 color accuracy and 10-bit color depth that enables the freedom in post production to integrate 10-bit effects and overlays.
- A 7″ monitor almost six times the area of the XC-10’s 3″ display, is the best and only way to truly set up Pro shots with professional features not available on the XC-10 like 3D LUTs, 2:1 & 1:1 zoom for critical focus, vectorscope, false color and the ability to have ongoing color calibration using an optional Spyder unit.
- Ability to tag footage on the fly as Favorite/Reject ready for immediate integration into Final Cut Pro, Adobe or other NLE’s
- Long record times onto affordable and reliable SSD media as opposed to the more expensive $/GB media option on the XC-10.
- With built in HDMI to SDI signal conversion the Shogun/XC-10 combination can perfectly integrate into an existing SDI workflow
- The breakout XLR connection gives the Shogun/XC-10 combination both balanced analog XLR audio and 48V phantom power options for condenser microphone solutions.
For all of this added functionality, users do not sacrifice usability since the Atomos Shogun and the Canon XC-10 have synchronized start/stop trigger and timecode over HDMI meaning 1 touch recording from the Canon will trigger the record and timecode to start on the Shogun.
The Canon XC-10 also supports the Atomos CFast cards. Small and reliable Atomos CFast cards are available in both 64GB and 128GB options and perfect for affordable filmmaking on the go. The blend of advanced functions with industry leading usability makes the XC-10 / Shogun a perfect 4K combination and the biggest 4K news to come from NAB 2015, which still hasn’t started yet.
Atomos exist to help creative professionals cut through technology barriers by creating easy to use, cutting edge products including 4K & HD Monitor-recorders, a pocket size ProRes recorder, signal converters & power management solutions. Each product serves a different need but all share the common benefit of enabling a faster, higher quality and more affordable production schedule for video professionals.
Atomos is based in Australia with offices in the USA, Japan, China and Germany and has a worldwide distribution partner network. Further product information can be found at www.atomos.com with the Atomos community active on Facebook (/atomosglobal), Twitter (@Atomos_News), Vimeo (/atomosvideo), YouTube (/AtomosVideo) and Videogram (atomos.videogram.com)