Just a quick note: I took a short piece shot on RED and sent the FCP edit into Soundtrack Pro. I found to my dismay that I was unable to apply almost any processing to most of the clips: no noise reduction, no add-on processing (as shown in the image). A bit of investigation followed:
- Clips with one audio channel worked as expected, and accepted all processing.
- Clips with two audio channels worked as expected, and accepted all processing.
- Clips with three audio channels allowed only “Mac OS” processing filters and the “Soundtrack Pro Autofilter”.
- Clips with four audio channels worked as expected, and accepted all processing.
Guess how many channels of audio most of my footage had?
The morals of the story?
- Test your entire workflow on a short before launching off on a feature. This 30-second spot is being done primarily as a testbed, specifically so we can uncover this sort of weirdness before we shoot hours of feature footage.
- Until further notice, avoid recording three channels of RED audio if you’re posting in STP. One, two, or four channels are fine; if you want to post your RED sound in Soundtrack Pro, and you need to record three channels of audio, enable the fourth channel , too.
It’s just one of those crazy things… who knew?
Filmmakers go-to destination for pre-production, production & post production equipment!Shop Now