I’ve just received a “test sample” of the SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT 1,33x 50 adapter built with final parts, so it’s pretty much as it will be delivered. I’ll have a proper review in a few weeks, but as the window for pre-orders is short, I thought I should post this now.
Product Manager Andrew Chan says that the set will go on sale some time around April: $899 for the adapter and $299 for the Achromatic Diopter set.
Pre-orders begin shipping in March. You can pre-order by sending a screen grab of your twitter account, showing that you're following @anamorphot, to firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb 14th (this coming Friday). There is an unspecified discount for pre-orders.
First impressions: the adapter is very much like the prototype reviewed earlier in overall design and construction; it’s just more polished in terms of fit and finish. It ships with three mount adapters, for 49mm, 52mm, and 58mm filter threads, all packed in a fold-over wallet.
The two diopters are solid, screw-on lenses, 77mm in diameter, with a blue/purple reflection from the surface coatings. They come in a little velvet-lined box with a magnetic closure.
In the fifteen minutes I’ve had with the adapter on my 25mm f/0.95 Nokton, it looks like the lens performs quite well, just like the prototype did: no nasty surprises, certainly. If you’re in the market for a 1.33x anamorphic adapter, and you like what you read in the preview article and what you see in the links below, I’d say it’s probably worth getting on the pre-order list.
Here are some demo-video links that SLR Magic provided. Obviously they won’t have given me any links that show the lens in a bad light, grin, but there’s nothing I can see in these clips that’s out of line with what I see the lens doing.
- by Eyepatch Entertainment:
- SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter 35mm T1.4 Tutorial Video
- SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphic – Tip for near focus mode
- SLR Magic Anamorphic vs LA7200 Flare and Resolution comparison
- SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphic – Sunset BMCC 4K RAW
- by Seb Farges:
- One Week with SLR Magic anamorphot (OM-D & Sony A7)
- by Ed Arnaud:
- SLR Magic 1.33X Anamorphot Test 1
- SLR Magic 1.33X Anamorphot Lens Flare Test
- by Brad Proudlove:
- SLR Magic Anamorphot Demo
- by P13 Digital Media:
- Kascarade – The Long Kiss Goodbye – Acoustic version
- Bradford at night – Anamorphic – SLR Magic Anamorphot 1.33 x 50 – F2.8
- by Jordan Levy:
- SLR MAGIC ANAMORPHIC ADAPTER TEST
- by EOSHD:
- Anamorphic sample footage shot with the SLR Magic Anamorphot – and which lenses go best with it?
I should have a more detailed writeup in March, after I’ve recovered from the upcoming HPA Tech Retreat. In the meantime, if you’re of a mind to take the plunge, remember that pre-orders end this coming Friday: SLR Magic must have received your email by the end of the day, Kong Kong time.
Disclosure: SLR Magic sent me the “test sample” adapter and diopter lenses for review. I’ll have to send ‘em back when I’m done. SLR Magic is not compensating me for the review nor is there any other material connection between me and SLR Magic.