DAM Best Practices | Metadata and Taxonomy Maturities.
Metadata constitutes a concept that applies to electronically archived or presented data and describes the definition, structure and administration ofdata files with allcontents incontext, thus enabling the ready access and use of the captured and archived data.
Digital asset metadata provides information about one or more other aspects of a digital media file, such as its
- Means of creating the digital media file
- Purpose of the digital media file
- Time and date of its creation
- Creator or author of the digital media file
- Placement in a database
- Insertion into a compound document of rich-media object
Metadata typically entails structured and defined schema that may includemetadata standards,metadata models, and tools such ascontrolled vocabularies,taxonomies,thesauri,data dictionaries andmetadata registries.
No broad consensus exists as to types of metadata; however, most DAM practitioners accept the following types a workable guideline:
- Rich, interactive experiences require taxonomy (digitalassetmanagement.org.uk)
- Rapidly Iterating DAM: The Tao of Digital Asset Management (digitalassetmanagement.org.uk)
- How to improve your metadata and search results (digitalassetmanagement.org.uk)
- Did you build or buy a DAM? (digitalassetmanagement.org.uk)
Filmmakers go-to destination for pre-production, production & post production equipment!Shop Now