Adobe announced availability of a major update to Creative Cloud, aimed especially at designers, with new features for Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Even if you already used free trials, there's another free 30-day trial period for Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, InDesign CC, and Adobe Muse CC.
The updates are available starting January 16. If you're not seeing updates, you might force the CC desktop application to check for updates, since it checks just once per day. First, quit the CC desktop app (click on the gear icon in the upper right and choose Quit). Then, launch the Creative Cloud desktop application so it will check for updates. There's also a troubleshooting guide and an Adobe Forum for Creative Cloud Download & Install info to get feedback if that doesn't do the trick.
Creative Cloud for video 2013 updates were discussed recently in Top After Effects feature requests of 2013.
Here's the main new features, with product links, select video, as well as links to new feature basics tutorials:
- An Adobe “What's New in January 2014“
- Macworld's review, Photoshop goes 3D with Creative Cloud upgrade.
- Perspective Warp makes it easy to manipulate multiple perspectives in your image while keeping the rest of the image intact (see the Andrew Trice truck demo below and more).
- Linked Smart Objects allow you to use the same object in multiple documents, change it once, and have that change flow through to each and every Photoshop document, saving tons of time and improving team collaboration. (more, and more from Andrew Trice)
- JDI features, Mac Pro/OS X 10.9 compatibility and notable bug fixes, noted by Jeff Tranberry (for example, Mercury Graphics Engine performance boost – Smart Sharpen on GPU).
- Bring your 3D designs into consensus reality now that you can easily refine, preview, and print to a 3D printer from within Photoshop CC. For more see the AEP summary, 3D printing in Photoshop CC.
- See also the team blogs, Introducing New Features in Photoshop CC (14.2) and Photoshop CC Gets Physical: 3D Printing in Just One Click. Also check out video tutorials from Photoshop evangelist Julieanne Kost (“hidden gems” below).
- There's a list of features from the 4 releases of the last year in Photoshop Help / What's New in Photoshop CC.
- Create perfect, editable rounded corners with the new Live Corners controls.
- Draw more intuitively with the rebuilt Pencil Tool, and use the Path Segment Reshape feature to quickly modify existing objects.
- Change the view of perspective drawings, and export responsive SVG code and graphics that resize when viewed on multiple screens.
- Pressure-sensitive pen on the latest Windows 8 tablet computers, along with enhanced direct touch support.
- Support for the EPUB 3.0 specification provides new ways to add interactivity to eBooks.
- Enhancements to hyperlink creation and editing speed up the creation of EPUBs, PDFs, and iPad apps.
- Pop-up footnotes streamline the EPUB reading experience, and support for Japanese, Hebrew and Arabic text allows you to reach new audiences.
Typekit desktop font integration in InDesign CC and Illustrator CC
- Quick Access to 100's of Typekit Fonts – $36,000 worth of desktop fonts are now accessible directly from the InDesign CC and Illustrator CC font menus, a new way to browse for fonts during the design process.
- Font management – sync to your desktop, and fonts will be immediately available in your font menu in Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, InDesign CC and more.
- Manage missing fonts – InDesign CC will automatically search the Typekit desktop font library for missing fonts and give you the option to use those fonts or similar ones if it finds a match.
- Help tutorial: How to add fonts to your desktop apps through Creative Cloud
- Summary from InDesign Secrets.
ON CREATIVE CLOUD LEARN
How to draw with the Pencil tool and Path Segment reshape in Illustrator | Project-based tutorial
How to work with Live Corners in Illustrator | Project-based tutorial
What’s new in Illustrator (Jan, 2014) | Video
All-new pencil tool | Video
Path segment reshaping | Video
Live Corners | Video
Custom Tools panels | Video
Timesaver features | Video
Typekit integration in Illustrator | Video
Responsive SVG files | Video
What’s new in InDesign (Jan, 2014) | Video
What’s new for EPUB? (Jan, 2014) | Video
Simplified Hyperlinks | Video
Typekit desktop fonts and Font menu enhancements | Video
Scripted Patterns and fills | Video
Photoshop 14.2 JDIs | Video
How to link Smart Objects in Photoshop | Project-based video
How to adjust perspective in a photo | Project-based video
Get new Typefaces for your printed photo projects | Video
How to add fonts to your desktop apps through Creative Cloud | Project-based video
ON ADOBE TV
Adobe Illustrator CC: What’s new in January 2014
All-new pencil tool in Adobe Illustrator CC
Path Segment Reshape in Adobe Illustrator CC
Live Corners in Adobe Illustrator CC
Custom Tools panels in Illustrator CC
Typekit Integration in Illustrator CC
Responsive SVG in Illustrator CC
Customer-requested timesavers in Illustrator CC
What’s New in InDesign CC
Typekit desktop fonts and Font Menu Enhancements in InDesign CC
Simplified Hyperlinks in InDesign CC
What’s New for EPUB in InDesign CC
Linked Smart Objects
Scripted patterns and fills
Photoshop 14.2 JDIs
Get new typefaces for your printed projects
How to Use Typekit Desktop Fonts
Filmmakers go-to destination for pre-production, production & post production equipment!Shop Now