- a way of thinking about data
- design principles for formats
- adapted to current behaviors and usage patterns (“pave the cow paths.” – adam rifkin)
- highly correlated with semantic xhtml, aka the real world semantics, aka lowercase semantic web, aka lossless xhtml
- described by tantek’s recent presentation at sxsw: the elements of meaningful xhtml
- a set of simple open data format standards that many (including technorati) are actively developing and implementing for more/better structured blogging and web microcontent publishing in general.
- “an evolutionary revolution” – ryan king
- all the above.
microformats are not:
- a new language
- infinitely extensible and open-ended
- an attempt to get everyone to change their behavior and rewrite their tools
- a whole new approach that throws away what already works today
- a panacea for all taxonomies, ontologies, and other such abstractions
- defining the whole world, or even just boiling the ocean
- any of the above