ISKO UK is a not-for-profit scientific/professional association with the objective of promoting research and communication in the domain of knowledge organization, within the broad field of information science and related disciplines, through the following means:
- development of liaisons between communities of researchers and practitioners in the domains, sectors and scientific disciplines of the field of knowledge organization
- organization of study days, seminars, workshops and, in particular, the organization of a biennial conference of ISKO UK in the years alternative to the International Conferences of ISKO
- all other activities that conform to the objective of the association.
Profile of the present ISKO UK members:
- by profession/affiliation/job title: independent information consultants/IT specialists, university lecturers, librarians, editors of the universal classification systems
- by interest/expertise: authors of books, research papers, standards in the field of knowledge organization and indexing languages, specialists in building and implementing indexing languages (classifications, thesauri), specialists for knowledge organization in particular sectors/domain (libraries, KM, museums etc.)
In the coming months, ISKO UK will be working on shaping its agenda, under the broader scope of ISKO, and will seek to establish links with all groups and fora in the U.K. involved in information and knowledge organization.