From January 26–29, I’ll be giving four tech seminars in México City. Actually, three of the four will be tech (audio/video/podcast production/post/distribution), while the first presentation will be free, and will be about language issues. All four presentations will take place in México City, and will be presented in Castilian/castellano (aka “Spanish”). Details ahead.
Seminars to be held
All of the seminars are to be held at 13:00 (aka 1 pm) local time. The first presentation is free. The rest cost MX$400 (Mexican pesos) each, or MX$1,000 for a package of all three of the paid seminars.
January 26th: the Mexican launch of the books La conspiración del castellano and The Castilian Conspiracy
This presentation is free, but you must RSVP in advance due to space limitations. If you have read my articles, you have already heard about these books. What’s interesting for this venue is that both books contain quotes from Mexico’s ex-President Vicente Fox. What we don’t know yet is whether he’ll be attending, but he is quite welcome to this or any of the other presentations. One signed copy will be raffled to the attendees.
How to choose the ideal components to edit video with a laptop computer
I’ll give you the criteria, not the final answers, so you can make your best decision based upon your particular situation:
- Why you probably need a disk array rather than a single disk drive to edit.
- The practical differences between RAID0, RAID1, RAID5 or RAID6.
- Why you’ll be better served with redundancy.
- The ideal way to connect a disk array to your laptop.
- The benefits of using a professional input/output device (AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox), and the different models to connect to your laptop.
- How to pick an ideal laptop that will be compatible with a professional interface, in case you ever consider acquiring one in the future.
- When you should have an interface from AJA, Blackmagic o Matrox… and when you might get away without it.
- The criteria to pick an external monitor for critical evaluation and grading (“color correction”): 8-bit/10-bit, Rec.609 or Rec.709; RGB versus YUV/component, colorimeters for calibration.
How to produce excellent audio podcasts on a budget
Audio podcasting has been a popular medium for quite a while, with many advantages over conventional AM/FM radio. Now it’s time to learn everything you need to know to produce them with pristine quality:
- Fundamental differences between broadcasting via conventional AM/FM, live internet radio, or audio podcasting, along with the advantages of the last one.
- How to design the format of your podcast… and the standard elements: intro, bumpers, and close.
- Apps and devices to produce your audio podcast.
- How to record high quality telephone recordings with a guest.
- Editing your podcast, and getting consistent levels.
- The importance of going beyond iTunes due to the success of Android.
iOS (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) or Android mediography
- Why the native recording apps that come on your phone, phablet, or tablet are not ideal.
- Ideal apps for recording audio and video with your iOS or Android device
- Devices to hold your device in your hands or on a tripod and to mount accessories.
- Devices to connect one or multiple microphones and record each one on a separate track for greater control in post-
- What is VFR video recording and which editing apps are compatible with it, to avoid lipsync problems.
If you are going to be in México City on these dates, speak the language, and are interested in attending, contact me for more info. Also do the same if you’d like to coordinate similar seminars in your end of the world.
Upcoming articles, reviews, and books
Stand by for upcoming articles, reviews, and books. Sign up to my free mailing list by clicking here.
Si deseas suscribirte a mi lista en castellano, visita aquí. Si prefieres, puedes suscribirte a ambas listas (castellano e inglés).
Books, consulting, articles, seminars & audio programs
Contact Allan Tépper for consulting, or find a full listing of his books, articles and upcoming seminars and webinars at AllanTepper.com. Listen to his CapicúaFM and TecnoTur programs. Search for CapicúaFM TecnoTur in iTunes or Stitcher Radio.
My latest book (paperback + ebook)
My most recent book is available in two languages, and in paperback as well as an ebook. The ebook format is Kindle, but even if you don’t have a Kindle device, you can read Kindle books on many other devices using a free Kindle app. That includes iPad, Android tablets, Mac computers, and Windows computers. Although generally speaking, Kindle books are readable on smartphones like Androids and iPhones, I don’t recommend it for this particular book since it contains both color photos and color comparison charts. The ebook is also DRM-free.
In English, it is currently available in the following Amazon stores, depending upon your region:
- Amazon.com, for the US and other countries in the Americas that don’t currently have their own Amazon store, or anywhere if you simply prefer it
- Amazon.br for Brazil
- Amazon.ca for Canada
- Amazon.de for Germany
- Amazon.es for Spain pero a lo mejor lo preferirás en castellano, a continuación)
- Amazon.fr for France
- Amazon.in for India
- Amazon.it for Italy
- Amazon.co.jp for Japan
- Amazon.com.mx for México
- Amazon.co.uk for the United Kingdom
Or in your favorite bookstore by requesting ISBN–10: 1456310232 or ISBN–13: 978–1456310233.
En castellano, está disponible actualmente en las siguientes tiendas Amazon, según tu región:
- Amazon.com para EE.UU. y todas las Américas donde no existe ninguna tienda particular… o en cualquier parte si simplemente lo prefieres
- Amazon.com.br para Brasil
- Amazon.co.jp para Japón
- Amazon.de para Alemania
- Amazon.es para España
- Amazon.fr (Francia)
- Amazon.in para India
- Amazon.it para Italia
- Amazon.com.mx para México
- Amazon.co.uk para el Reino Unido
o en tu librería preferida al solicitar el ISBN–10: 1492783390 ó el ISBN–13: 978–1492783398.
No manufacturer is specifically paying Allan Tépper or TecnoTur LLC to write this article or the mentioned books. Some of the other manufacturers listed above have contracted Tépper and/or TecnoTur LLC to carry out consulting and/or translations/localizations/transcreations. Many of the manufacturers listed above have sent Allan Tépper review units. So far, none of the manufacturers listed above is/are sponsors of the TecnoTur programs, although they are welcome to do so, and some are, may be (or may have been) sponsors of ProVideo Coalition magazine. Some links to third parties listed in this article and/or on this web page may indirectly benefit TecnoTur LLC via affiliate programs.
Copyright and use of this article
The articles contained in the TecnoTur channel in ProVideo Coalition magazine are copyright Allan Tépper/TecnoTur LLC, except where otherwise attributed. Unauthorized use is prohibited without prior approval, except for short quotes which link back to this page, which are encouraged!