The editing Oscars are a single category, but with the EDDIEs, there are two categories for best editing: drama and comedy/musical. Winners in these categories and several others will be announced January 29th, 2016.
There are currently interviews posted on PVC for Spotlight, The Martian, Sicario, The Revenant and The Hateful Eight with another coming soon for Star Wars and Straight Outta Compton. Links below are just to IMDB pages. Links in the previous sentence are to my interviews. (Let me know if you’re on the list below and WANT to be interviewed! Tracking down editors is NOT an easy job.)
Which of these do you think are worthy of the title Best Editing?
- Margaret Sixel for Mad Max: Fury Road.
- Hank Corwin for The Big Short.
- Tom McArdle –Spotlight.
- Pietro Scalia – The Martian.
- Stephen Mirrione – The Revenant.
- Michael Kahn – Bridge of Spies.
- Nathan Nugent – Room.
- Affonso Gonçalves – Carol.
- Joe Walker – Sicario.
- Pete Beaudreau and Mikkel E.G. Nielsen for Beasts of No Nation.
- Fred Raskin – The Hateful Eight.
- Maryann Brandon & Mary Jo Markey – The Force Awakens.
- Billy Fox & Michael Tronick for Straight Outta Compton
- Claudia Castello & Michael P. Shawver for Creed.
- Elliot Graham for THIS LINK..
I’ve only seen eight of the fifteen.
The interesting thing about editing is that usually, the more invisible it is, the better it would be judged by most editors, I think. I saw “Spotlight” which was very “true” to me. The editing stayed out of the way and let me stay in the story. I also saw “The Big Short” which is kind of the opposite. To me, the edit definitely had a “style” to it. It was clearly “visible” and “audible.” The sound design was great. The editing was a big part of the visual “style” of the movie. So how do you compare two editing styles that are so different? Or how do you compare the epicness of “Fury Road” or “Star Wars” with something as intimate as “Room?”
Join the conversation in the comment section below. I’m more interested in HOW editing is judged than who you think will win. Clearly, to be nominated here is a fantastic honor.
Read the rest of the Art of the Cut interviews with THIS LINK.
Here’s the link to the ACE article
Follow me on Twitter: @stevehullfish
Filmmakers go-to destination for pre-production, production & post production equipment!