Have you been disappointed when your audio quality drops exponentially as you add more microphones with a talk show, interview or reality, due to a phenomenon called spill, bleed or “crosstalk”? You can’t afford the time to mulitrack and fix it in post? You’ll be happy to know that there are hardware devices to solve it in real time, either truly live or live-to-drive (previously known as “live on tape”) . In BeyondPodcasting episode 10, Curtis Judd and I discuss four models from ≈US$250 to ≈US$1000.
Listen here or visit BeyondPodcasting.com for more information and free subscription on your smartphone.
Solutions discussed in this episode:
- Zoom F8n (≈US$999 Amazon — B&H) +75dB maximum gain, noticeable delay/latency in monitoring headphones when using automix, as discovered by Curtis Judd of Learn, Light and Sound.
- Audio-Technica ATDM-0604 (≈US$899 Amazon — B&H), +60dB maximum gain, gate or automix modes, no built-in headphone output, review pending.
- Audio Technica AT-MX351a (US$829 Amazon — B&H, +73dB maximum gain, which I reviewed in 2014, and fortunately had no perceptible delay when monitoring via its headphone output. The AT-MX351a contains no digital output. Nowadays, I would use it with the iRig Pre HD to convert the analog signal bidirectionally from and to digital for Android, Chromebook, Mac or Windows, rather than the older model used back in 2014 and mentioned in the AT-MX351a review.)
- Behringer X AIR XR12 (≈US$250 Amazon — B&H), +60dB maximum gain, US$250, which I covered in several articles)
- Multitrack crossgating from Auphonic (in post-production, not live, see My multitrack crossgating audio workflow to eliminate crosstalk)
Also, listen to Chris Curran’s interview with Dan Dugan on Podcast Engineering School. Dan Dugan was the original inventor of automix, although his patent has since expired.
(Re-)Subscribe for upcoming articles, reviews, radio shows, books and seminars/webinars
Stand by for upcoming articles, reviews, and books. Sign up to my free mailing list by clicking here. If you previously subscribed to my bulletins and no longer receive them, you must re-subscribe due to new compliance to GDPR. Most of my current books are at books.AllanTepper.com, and my personal website is AllanTepper.com.
Si deseas suscribirte (o volver a suscribirte) a mi lista en castellano, visita aquí. Si prefieres, puedes suscribirte a ambas listas (castellano e inglés).
Subscribe to his Tu radio global show at Turadioglobal.com.
Subscribe to his Tu salud secreta show at TuSaludSecreta.com.
Subscribe to his CapicúaFM show at CapicúaFM.com.
No manufacturer is specifically paying Allan Tépper or TecnoTur LLC to write this article or the mentioned books. Some of the other manufacturers listed above have contracted Tépper and/or TecnoTur LLC to carry out consulting and/or translations/localizations/transcreations. Some of the manufacturers listed above have sent Allan Tépper review units, including Zoom, Audio Technica and IK Multimedia. So far, none of the manufacturers listed above is/are sponsors of the TecnoTur , BeyondPodcasting or TuNuevaRadioGlobal programs, although they are welcome to do so, and some are, may be (or may have been) sponsors of ProVideo Coalition magazine. Some links to third parties listed in this article and/or on this web page may indirectly benefit TecnoTur LLC via affiliate programs. Allan Tépper’s opinions are his own.
Copyright and use of this article
The articles contained in the TecnoTur channel in ProVideo Coalition magazine are copyright Allan Tépper/TecnoTur LLC, except where otherwise attributed. Unauthorized use is prohibited without prior approval, except for short quotes which link back to this page, which are encouraged!